Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Quote: A Two-Opera Case?

Justice Kennedy was once asked in a question-and-answer period with a group of attorneys and judges how he manages to read the enormous number of briefs filed.  Justice Kennedy mentioned that, among other things, he sometimes finds it helpful to take briefs home and listen to opera while reading.  Some take longer than others, he explained: There are "one-opera cases," while others are "two-opera cases."

"I have a rule like that when I write those briefs," an attorney in the audience said.  "I have a one six-pack brief and a two six-pack brief."  To which Kennedy responded, "I think I remember your last one.  It was a three six-pack brief."

Anthony M. Kennedy, Assoc. Justice, U.S. Supreme Court, Speech at the Forum Club of the Palm Beaches (May 14, 2010) (video link here).